About Me

My photo
Strange, clever, dreaming. Not really much to say about myself. Not releasing too many personal details. I prefer to stay unknown...AND MYSTERIOUS!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Some Australia Stuff

Today's Topic:
  •  Some Australia Stuff

Hello, everyone.  In my last post, I barely touched on Australia.  So I'll talk about it a little now.  Now let me say this first: Australia is a nice country, and the following is not saying it's any better or worse than my former home of the United States.  I am simply comparing some things.

I'd also like to say that Australia, even with my short and rather uneventful time here, gives me a lot to talk about, so I will be touching on it in multiple posts.


First I'd like to say something about one of the major grocery stores.  'Woolies' as it's called.  The thing I find strange is that people actually choose to call it Woolies.  The real name is Woolworths (a still odd name in my opinion).  It makes you wonder, why on Earth would people choose to call a store by such a ridiculous name?  Not trying to be rude or anything, I just find this very odd.

This, though, makes me think of the Grocery Stores we have back in the States.  Safeway?  King Soopers?  Yes, these may not be as strange as Woolworths, but, when you think about it, it is a bit odd.


One of the biggest differences between the States and Down Under (besides accent and dialect) is Service.

Nearly every store closes at 5:30.  5:30!  The one night they stay open late is Thursday.  I'm not sure how they decided on this.  It sounds nice, if  you work in a store.  But it is very annoying when you actually have to get stuff done later in the day.  As I've learned, unfortunately we don't all have the luxury of being able to do things whenever we want.

Another example of the service thing is in restaurants.  They aren't terrible, or anything.  It's not like the waitresses and waiters all come out and give you dirty looks.  Nothing like that.  This one is not nearly as big as a difference as the stores thing, it just seems like the waiters and waitresses don't check up on you nearly as much.  And, I haven't been to a ton of restaurants to notice, but my mom says it's everywhere.  Also, normally water costs extra, apparently.  And you also have to ask for ice in it.

One thing that happened in a restaurant a week or two ago, the waitress put us at a table, and then left.  Literally left.  We saw here leave the restaurant and come back multiple times.  Then, after the meal, we walked around and, again, saw the waitress walking around town. Now, I know this is just one example, and I'm not saying that every restaurant is like that, of course.  Just sort of funny that we see the waitress outside the restaurant more than in.


Well, I hope my little rants didn't deter any of you away from Australia.  I know  many people would gladly take my place, and I assure you, Australia is not a bad country.  It just has a lot of inconveniences for those who are used to other things.


I'd also like to say that  I've made a new part of the site.  You may have noticed the above bar, labeled 'Stories.'  I'm going to try posting occasional short stories there.  I'll try it on that page, but it may not work out (due to the format that Blogger is using) and I might simply mesh it in with the regular posts, or even stop all together.  I'll see how it works out.


This Ranting Has Been Brought to you by,
Logic Box



No comments:

Post a Comment