About Me

My photo
Strange, clever, dreaming. Not really much to say about myself. Not releasing too many personal details. I prefer to stay unknown...AND MYSTERIOUS!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Writing is Hard

Today's Topics:
  • Writing
  • My Book
I've realized I keep starting with 'It's been a while since my last post.'  This happened when I used to do mass e-mails.  Coincidentally, I don't do many mass e-mails anymore.  Hopefully I'll start posting more often so I can't use that starter anymore.

So as many will know already, I'm writing a book.  Man is it hard...I've come so far, and am so close to finishing, but right now is the hardest part.  I just need to add a bunch of little things to make sure that my book is ready.  Absolutely positively ready.


The thing about writing, though, is that it will never be absolutely ready.  Never, ever.  There is always something you can do to improve, whether it be adding more depth to a character, adding an extra plot line, or simply having better sentence structure.  There is always more.

In my case, I need character development.  I'm not always the most descriptive, especially when it comes to characters.  That is my weakest point.  I prefer to write encyclopedia type things.  In my book, I had much more ease creating a sort of history book for a couple battles that didn't get mentioned.  I would be a great writer for, say, Wikipedia, but all the stuff I know has already been covered.

This is a major problem when you are trying to write a book like this, though.  I have a lot of characters.  Like, Lord of the Rings a lot.  Few get much time in the spot light, fewer are actually fleshed out enough.  And most of them seem sort of like copies of the other but with different names.

This is my first book, so it's to be expected that it won't be perfect.  You gotta learn on the job.  So hopefully I'll get better with characters over time.  I think, this time around, the problem is I've based most of my characters on real life people.  And I can't do as much with them because I didn't create them, so I sort of collide them together (since we're friends, we are similar).  I'm working on making differences, as well, and trying to give the characters a bit more depth, and I'm not sure how long it will take.

Well I'd say that's a decently sized rant.  With luck, my next one will be about my *published* book.  We'll see.

Write!
Logic Box

No comments:

Post a Comment