About Me

My photo
Strange, clever, dreaming. Not really much to say about myself. Not releasing too many personal details. I prefer to stay unknown...AND MYSTERIOUS!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Stance Against Fighting, not Fighting Stance

Today's Topics:
  • Fights
  • Violence in Schools *The main focus is Australian Schools


I’m writing this for a project on school.  I’ve wanted to talk about this subject before, so I chose School Violence as my topic. 




Let me start by saying I’ve witnessed a fight before.  I’m not impressed.  Not one bit.  I was outside.  A huge mass of students moved out onto the field.  I had no idea what was going on at first, until they got to their destination.  It became obvious this was a fight, even though I couldn't see a thing.
            
At least, not for the first fight.  Immediately after this one was over, one of the kids (I’m not sure if they were involved in the first fight or not) yelled out to another kid.  We’ll pretend his name is Bob. 
             
“Fight me, Bob!”  he called.  Bob refused and started walking in the other direction.  “C’mon, Bob!  Fight me!”  Eventually Bob gave in and the fight began.  This one I got a good view of.  It was absolutely vicious.  The rage that erupted from these students, both during the fight and after, was terrifying. 
           
 I also knew a teacher who said he saw a fight where two girls nearly killed someone who tried to break it up.  The really sad thing is they kept fighting afterwards, without any concern for the near-dead man, although this was back in the States.   
           
 Anyway, this was only one instance.  The sad thing is that scenes like that seem to be occurring across Australia, and the number of violent acts has been going up since at least 2000. 
           
 In 2009, the Education Spokesman of the time Martin Dixon said “There’s been an alarming increase in the breadth and depth of crime in schools.  I think the community has a high expectation that schools are safe places, but that perception is being seriously dented.” 
           
 It seems that the conditions have not improved over the years.  There are still reports of violence, there are still stories of children bringing weapons to school.  Repercussions of fights from years ago are affecting teachers today.  This was pulled from abc.net.au/news:
             
“In March last year, a teacher was punched and then stabbed by a 14-year-old student at the Nightcliff Middle School in Darwin’s north.” 
           
I heard another story about a teacher having to get an amputation because of some violence that happened four years ago. 
          
In fact, just yesterday, I saw some performers who go around schools to speak about bullying.  They told an apparently true story with a very nasty character.  The girl went on Facebook, made a second account with a fake name, and friended an unpopular peer. 
            
 They got to know them and find out all their secrets.  Now at this point the story branches and I’m not sure which part is true (they presented the info in a miniature play, in which the character recounts the first story).
           
In one part, they got all their info and then publicly humiliated them in front of everybody, so much so that they had to move schools.
            
 In another part, they were going to stir up something between the unpopular person and the person they know would be willing to fight them.
            
They did not reveal the end of this second story, but no matter what happened this is absolutely disgusting.  A lot of things are.  The fact that students in this country, in my country, or any other, are willing to nearly kill others, or treat each other as if they’re disgusting animals is repulsive.  Just horrible.  I think these kids need to take a very long look in the mirror. 
            
Some people are trying to situate special schools for troubled youth to go after suspension/expulsion, instead of simply dumping them on the world and saying ‘we don’t want them.’  I think they’re on the right track.  We need to help these kids get off the demented path they’re on instead of simply slapping them on the hand, or else we will have a very dark future indeed. 

-Logic Box

No comments:

Post a Comment